Farlam was part of the Earl of Carlisle's Naworth estate and it was the coal and lime stone contained within the fells that have determined the development of the parish.
To extract the coal in the eighteenth century required considerable labour and horsepower. Most of the land within the parish was fell side grazing of very poor quality, to maintain the men and horses in the area the Naworth estate created settlements at strategic places, cottages, though small, were often constructed with 'T' fall roofs to provide a byre. Land was also provided close to the settlements as allotments and grazing.
Where there was good land, the estate created colliery farms to provide additional support for the mining, by way of food for both the workers and the horses.
In many ways agriculture and mining developed hand in hand during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.
Kirkhouse Colliery Farm:- Around 1750 a house was built for the estates colliery agent (now a grade 2 listed building). The agent was not only responsible for the mining operations, the roads, waggonways, building and maintenance of workers cottages but also the running of the colliery farms.
From the late 1770's the quarries and lime kilns came under the agents control.
Over the years the colliery agents built at Kirkhouse a support and storage depot for the
operations, there were cottages for employees, offices, stables and various premises for all the other trades, blacksmiths, carpenters etc.
In April 1799 first delivery of coal was made to Brampton on the waggonway from Tindale Fell that had commenced construction the previous year, this track went through Hallbankgate, the garden of Farlam Hall and around Milton with a spur off to Kirkhouse before arriving at Brampton Staithe.
Information used in the above has been obtained from a number of sources:-
Brampton Railway web site , Colliery settlements in east Cumberland By Alan Harris, M.A., Ph.D. Curtsey of York: Archaeology Data Service. Durham Mining